II- How to make your choice and read course tables ? The following is important, we advice you to read it carefully: You have two possibilities: - The...

0 downloads 1245 Views 219KB Size
INCOMING STUDENTS – HOW TO CHOOSE YOUR COURSES Welcome in Strasbourg ! We are glad to welcome you. You will find below a guide to find your way in our training provision to establish your Learning Agreement. To begin, here are the courses contents for the Licence (B.A) in Sociology: -

For the 3rd year of licence (« L3 ») we have also other training paths (= specializations). You will find them on the same page, in the left column (for ex: « Démographie », « Sociologie de l’intervention sociale », « Ethnologie »). You may click on any of these, and then you will need to click on « Cours ».

Here are different traning paths for the Master in sociology: the Master of demography: and the Master of ethnology:


Years and semesters are named this way :

« Licence » = BA. « L1 » = « 1rst year of Bachelor », « L2 » = « 2nd year », « L3 » = « 3rd year ». « Master » = MA. M1 = Master 1rst year; M2 = 2nd year. a- Course programmes are indicated by « semester » : for the « licence » (bachelor) : S1 = 1rst semester L1 S2 = 2nd semester L1 S3 = 1r semester L2, etc… S5 = 1r semester L3. For the master: S1 = 1rst semester M1 S2 = 2cd semester M1, etc. Example: if you come the 1rst semester of the 3rd year, you will first look the courses for S5 (5th semester). b- Credits : - They are named « ECTS ». - For each semester, students need to validate 30 credits (60 credits for 2 semesters). But it can happen that you validate a part of you work in your home university (for example a research essay). For example: some students do validate at Strasbourg only 25 credits a semester, because they also achieve a research essay (for 5 credits) in their home university.


How to make your choice and read course tables ? The following is important, we advice you to read it carefully:

You have two possibilities: -

The first one is for you to follow the program of only one course path. For example, if you are in B.A 3rd year in Sociology, we advice you to follow the whole course path « Sociologie ». Please, note that the research essay (« Projet personnel de l’étudiant ») is optional for Incoming Students : you may replace it by any courses that you would chose in any other training path or in any other Faculty.


The second possibility is to choose only some courses within the course path, and to complete your learning agreement with courses from another course path or form several other course path. According to this scenario, you mix several course paths.

The easiest way is the first solution, but you are absolutely free to choose the second possibility. Now, how do these tables work? Let’s go back to the two possibilities.

1) First scenario: you follow the whole program within the same course path. - « UE » means « Unité d’enseignement » (unity of teaching). It is a module including several courses. Each UE is validated in ECTS: they are indicated in the table. If you take one UE, you will validate the number of credits indicated next to UE. - In each UE, there are two types of courses. CM are « lecture courses », e.g. theoretical or thematic teaching. TD are « tutorial classes » : they are workshops. - In some cases, a UE includes « optional » courses. An example with the course path « Sociologie » during S5 (3rd year’s first semester) : UE3 it is indicated: « Approfondissements thématiques en sciences sociales (3 cours parmi ceux ci-dessous) ». It means : “topics in social sciences, 3 courses among the 3 below” Here, you need to choose only 3 courses in this list (not the whole list). 2) Second scenario: you mix several course paths. - you can indeed choose any CM in our faculty, knowing that a CM of 24h = 3 ECTS and a CM of 18h = 3 ECTS. In this 2nd scenario, as a foreign student, you don’t have to follow all the courses in a UE : you can choose only one CM within one UE. If the course is a 24h CM or a 18h CM, it counts as 3 ECTS. So, you are completely free about your choice of CM. - However, if you choose the whole courses provided by an UE to Strasbourg students, you would obtain the whole credits of the UE (for ex: UE2 in “Méthodologie” in S5 “Sociologie” = 6 ECTS in taking the whole course of the UE). - You can furthermore choose "travaux dirigés" (TD) but be careful: you have to take them in relation to the corresponding "CM" (it is impossible to take one TD « alone », without the related CM).



- it is very important, for the administration, that you choose at least 50% of your courses within our faculty ; you can take other courses in others faculties (maximum 50%). - Our foreign students can choose the whole lecture courses (CM) of their year, but they can also take 1, 2 or 3 courses in another year. For example: if you are in B.A. 3rd year, you can take one or two courses in L2 or L1 (2nd year or 1rst year) and/or one or two courses in M1 (Master 1rst year).


A last requirement:

When you will send you learning agreement, we will ask you simply to precise in your e-mail: - if you choose scenario 1 of scenario 2; - if you choose scenario 2: please, be kind to precise for each course, what course path and what year you have chosen. We wish you the best for your application, and do not hesitate to contact us for further explanations. Sincerely, The International Desk, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Strasbourg, France