Incoming Exchange Students FAQ

each School. 11 - Can I choose disciplines that are not part of the curricular grade of my course? (For example, I am a student of journalism but I wa...

0 downloads 136 Views 260KB Size
Incoming Exchange Students – FAQ

1 – How can I apply for an Exchange at USP? Your home university will make the nomination of its students in the Mundus System (information about how to proceed can be found here). After that you’ll receive an e-mail with links and instructions about how to apply.

2 - What are the documents required for the exchange application? You will need to attach in your application the following documents: 1. A letter of recommendation, made by a professor of the institution, in PDF format. 2. Learning Agreement, signed and sealed by your home university institution, in PDF format. 3. Official Transcript of Records signed and stamped by your home university, followed by a simple translation in Portuguese. 4. Copy of the passport page that contains personal data (it must be valid for the period of exchange at USP). 5. A photo in ".jpg" format for your USP identity card (maximum size of 50kb). Other formats will not be accepted.

3 - How do I send my documents? After the nomination is made by your home university, you’ll receive an e-mail containing a link to complete your application and attach all required documents. It’s not necessary to send the original documents by post or a copy by e-mail.

4- What are the application deadlines?

For the first semester (February to June), the application must be submitted from August 1st to October 15th; for the second semester (August to December), from March 1st to May 15th.

5 - What is meant by "letter of recommendation" from a professor at my home university? Generally, the recommendation letter has only one page, where the teacher explains his relationship with the student and recommends his/her admission to the exchange at USP. This letter must be signed by a Professor and must be in Portuguese or English.

6 – How can I prepare the Learning Agreement? The Learning agreement should explain why you chose to study as an exchange student at USP. An appropriate Learning Agreement should be clear, mentioning your academic information, your language proficiency and the courses you wish to pursue in USP. IMPORTANT: The learning agreement may not exceed one page.

7 – How my application is evaluated by the USP International Office? Who is responsible for it? The Mobility Team makes a preliminary analysis of the applications received, and forwards them to the chosen School (according to the learning agreement). The School is responsible for the assessment and the final decision.

8 - How do I know if I was accepted? Your home university can check the status of the nominated students in the Mundus System. Also, the student will receive an e-mail when the School approves/refuses his/her application.

If the chosen School accepts your exchange request, it will send an acceptance letter to the address registered by the student. With this letter the student must apply for a student visa at the Brazilian Consulate in his/her country of origin.

10 - How long does it take to receive the letter of acceptance? Usually it takes from 30-45 days after the end of the registration period, but it’ll depend on each School.

11 - Can I choose disciplines that are not part of the curricular grade of my course? (For example, I am a student of journalism but I want to attend classes in sociology) Yes. The student can choose different courses in more than on School, as long as previously approved by the home university. For that, the student includes them in the learning agreement.

12 –What is the language taught in classes at USP? All classes are taught in Portuguese.

13 – Do I have to submit a certificate of proficiency in Portuguese? No, but you need to have a sufficient level to attend classes at USP.

14 - I have difficulty in learning Portuguese. The International Cooperation Office can help me?

For enrolled students who need to improve their Portuguese, the Language Learning Center of the School of Philosophy, Languages and Literature, and Human Sciences (FFLCH) offers Portuguese courses for foreigners. More information can be obtained via e-mail [email protected]

15 - What should I do after my arrival in São Paulo? What do I need to bring? After the arrival in São Paulo, the student should visit the International Office of the School where he/she’ll study and present his/her passport with a Student Visa (type I or IV) issued by the Brazilian consulate in his/her home country. ATTENTION: No students will be admitted on with tourist visa.

16 - When the USP courses begin? When should I arrive? The academic calendar of USP can be found here. We suggest that the student arrives two weeks in advance.

17 - USP provides lodging, food, transportation etc., for exchange students? There is no acommodation provided by USP to the exchange students (more information can be found here). USP has university restaurants for all students and offers a free bus transportation from the main campus (Cidade Universitária) to the nearest metro (Metro Butantã), and also throughout the campus (these services are offered only after the student enrollment at USP).

18 - Are there any tuition fees at USP? USP does not charge school fees, given its status as a public university. The student will be responsible for his/her own expenses (including the purchase of books and school supplies).

19 - How long can I study at USP as exchange student? The student may apply for one exchange semester. During the exchange he/she can request the extension of his exchange for one, two or three additional semesters, provided this is approved by his/her home university. Therefore, the student can study for up to 4 semesters (2 years) at USP. IMPORTANT: the extension must be approved by the School at USP.

20 - How can I become a full-degree student (undergraduate or graduate) at USP? And how can I transfer my course to USP? In accordance to the above, the International Cooperation Office is responsible for the processing of academic exchanges. Thus, the exchange student must return to their respective university after that period to complete his/her undergraduate studies. Those who wish to pursue any undergraduate degree at USP should contact FUVEST (University Foundation for Vestibular), the institution responsible for the admission process of USP. FUVEST is also responsible for the selection of students who wish to transfer their full undergraduate studies to USP. For graduate studies, you must contact directly the International Office at the School where you intend to study – a full list of local International Offices can be found here.